Normal vision and vision shown with macular degeneration
Vision with Macular Degeneration Open the pop-up dialog box
Wet macular degeneration is a chronic eye condition that causes blurred vision or a blind spot in your visual field. It is usually caused by abnormal blood vessels that leak fluid or blood into the macula (MAK-u-luh). The macula is located in the part of the retina that is responsible for central vision.Wet macular degeneration Treatment Hyderabad
- Wet macular degeneration is one of the two types of age-related macular degeneration. The other type – dry macular degeneration – is more common and less severe. The wet type always starts with the dry type.
- Detecting and treating wet macular degeneration early on can help reduce vision loss and, in some cases, restore vision.
The symptoms of wet macular degeneration usually come on suddenly and quickly. They can include:
- Visual distortions such as B. Straight lines that appear to be curved
- Reduced central vision in one or both eyes
- The need for brighter light when reading or working close-up
- Increased difficulty in adapting to low light conditions, e.g. B. when entering a dimly lit restaurant
- Increased blurring of printed words
- Decrease in the intensity or brightness of the colors
- Difficulty recognizing faces
- A blurred spot or a well-defined blind spot in your field of view
Parts of the inner eye
Parts of the eye open popup dialog
Nobody knows the exact cause of wet macular degeneration, but it does develop in people with dry macular degeneration. Of all people with age-related macular degeneration, around 20% have the wet form.Wet macular degeneration Treatment Hyderabad
Wet macular degeneration can develop in several ways:
- Loss of vision due to abnormal growth of blood vessels. Sometimes new, abnormal blood vessels develop from the choroid under and into the macula (choroidal neovascularization). The choroid is the layer of blood vessels between the retina and the outer, solid layer of the eye (sclera). These abnormal blood vessels can leak fluid or blood and affect the functioning of the retina.
- Loss of vision due to fluid build-up in the fundus. When fluid leaks from the choroid, it can accumulate between the thin layer of cells called the retinal pigment epithelium and the retina or within the layers of the retina. This can cause a lump in the macula that leads to loss of vision or distortion.
Factors that can increase your risk of macular degeneration include:Wet macular degeneration Treatment Hyderabad
- Age. This disease is more common in people over the age of 55.
- Family and inheritance history. This disease has a hereditary component. Researchers have identified several genes that are related to the development of the disease.
- Run. Macular degeneration is more common in Caucasians.
- Smoke. Smoking cigarettes or regular exposure to smoke greatly increases the risk of macular degeneration.
- Obesity. Research shows that obesity increases the likelihood of early or intermediate macular degeneration, which leads to a more severe form of the disease.
- Heart disease. If you have diseases that affect your heart and blood vessels, you may be at greater risk of macular degeneration.
It is important to have routine eye exams to identify the first signs of macular degeneration. The following steps can help reduce the risk of wet macular degeneration:
- Manage your other illnesses. For example, if you have cardiovascular disease or high blood pressure, take your medication and follow your doctor’s instructions to control the disease.
- Do not smoke. Smokers are more likely to develop macular degeneration than non-smokers. Ask your doctor to help you quit smoking.
- Maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly. If you need to lose weight, reduce the number of calories you eat and increase the amount of exercise you do each day.
- Choose a diet that is high in fruits and vegetables. Choose a healthy diet that is high in fruits and vegetables. These foods contain antioxidant vitamins that reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
- Include fish in your diet. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish can reduce the risk of macular degeneration.Wet macular degeneration Treatment Hyderabad