- Depression in adolescents is a serious mental health problem that causes persistent feelings of sadness and loss of interest in activities. It affects the way your teen thinks, feels, and acts, and can cause emotional, functional, and physical problems. Although depression can happen at any point in life, symptoms can vary between teenagers and adults.
- Problems like peer pressure, academic expectations, and body changes can lead to many ups and downs for teens. But for some teenagers, dips are more than just passing feelings – they’re a symptom of depression.
- Depression in adolescents is not a weakness or something that can be overcome by willpower – it can have serious consequences and requires long-term treatment. Most teenagers will improve symptoms of depression with treatments such as medication and counseling. Teen depression Treatment in Hyderabad
- The signs and symptoms of adolescent depression are changes in the adolescent’s previous attitudes and behavior that can cause problems and significant problems in school or at home, in social activities, or in other areas of life.
- Symptoms of depression can vary in severity, but changes in your teen’s emotions and behavior can include the following examples.
- Emotional changes
Watch for emotional changes like:
- Feelings of sadness, which can include crying for no apparent reason
- Frustration or anger, even over small things
- Feel hopeless or empty
- Irritable or angry mood
- Loss of interest in or enjoyment of usual activities
- Loss of interest or conflict with family and friends
- Low self-esteem
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Fixation on past failures or excessive self-blame or self-criticism
- Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure and the need for undue reassurance
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating, making decisions, and remembering things
- I continue to feel that life and the future are dark and gloomy
- Frequent thoughts of death, death, or suicide
It is not known exactly what causes depression, but a variety of problems can arise. These include:
Brain chemistry. Neurotransmitters are natural chemicals in the brain that transmit signals to other parts of your brain and body. When these chemicals are abnormal or altered, the functioning of the nerve receptors and the nervous system changes, leading to depression.
Hormones. Changes in the body’s hormonal balance can cause or trigger depression.
Hereditary traits. Depression is more common in people whose blood relatives – such as parents or grandparents – also have the disease.
Early childhood trauma. Traumatic events during childhood, such as physical or emotional abuse, or the loss of a parent, can lead to changes in the brain that make a person more prone to depression.
Learned negative thought patterns. Adolescent depression may be related to learning to feel helpless – rather than learning to feel able to find solutions to life challenges. Teen depression Treatment in Hyderabad
Many factors increase the risk of developing or causing depression in adolescents, including:
- Have problems that negatively affect self-esteem, such as: B. Obesity, problems with peers, long-term bullying, or school problems
- You have been the victim or witness of violence such as physical or sexual abuse
- Do you have other mental health problems such as bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, personality disorder, anorexia, or bulimia
- Have a learning disability or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Have persistent pain or have chronic physical conditions such as cancer, diabetes, or asthma
- Do you have certain personality traits such as low self-esteem, or are you overly dependent, self-critical, or pessimistic?
- Abuse of alcohol, nicotine, or other drugs
- Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender in an adverse environment
There is no surefire way to prevent depression. However, these strategies can help. Encourage your teen to:
Take steps to control stress, increase resilience, and build self-esteem to help manage problems as they arise
Above all, seek friendship and social support. Teen depression Treatment in Hyderabad