Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the inexplicable death of a seemingly healthy baby under one year of age, usually while asleep. SIDS is sometimes referred to as death in a cradle, as infants often die in their crib.
Although the cause is unknown, it appears that SIDS may be linked to abnormalities in the part of a child’s brain that controls breathing and arousal to sleep. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) treatment in hyderabad
A combination of physical and environmental factors related to sleep can make a child more susceptible to SIDS. These factors vary from child to child.
Although sudden infant death syndrome can occur, all early childhood researchers have identified several factors that could increase a baby’s risk. They include:
- Sex. Boys are slightly more likely to die of SIDS.
- Age. Infants are most susceptible between the ages of two and four months.
- Run. For reasons not well understood, non-white infants are more likely to develop SIDS.
- Family history. Babies who have siblings or cousins who have died from SIDS are at higher risk for SIDS. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) treatment in hyderabad
There is no guaranteed way to prevent SIDS, but you can help your baby sleep more safely by following these tips:
- Fall asleep again. Fall asleep on your baby’s back, not on their tummy or side, when you – or someone else – put the baby to sleep for the first year of life. This is not necessary if your baby is awake or can roll back and forth unaided.
- Don’t assume that others will put your baby in the right position – insist on it. Advise caregivers and educators not to use the prone position to calm down an upset baby.
- Keep the bracket as free as possible. Use a firm mattress and don’t place your baby on thick, soft pillows like lambskin or a thick duvet. Do not leave pillows, soft toys or cuddly toys in the crib. These can affect breathing if your baby’s face is pressing against them. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) treatment in hyderabad