- Normal ovary and polycystic ovary
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Open the popup dialog
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a common hormonal disorder in women of childbearing age. Women with PCOS may have fewer or longer periods of time, or excessive levels of male hormones (androgens). The ovaries can develop many small collections of fluid (follicles) and not release eggs regularly. Stein-Leventhal syndrome treatment in hyderabad
- The signs and symptoms of PCOS often develop around the time of your first period during puberty. Sometimes PCOS develops later, for example in response to significant weight gain.
- The signs and symptoms of PCOS vary. A diagnosis of PCOS is made when two or more of these signs occur:
- Irregular periods. Infrequent, irregular, or prolonged menstrual cycles are the most common signs of PCOS. For example, you may have fewer than nine periods per year, more than 35 days between periods, and unusually heavy periods.
Excess androgens. High levels of male hormones can lead to physical signs such as excessive facial and body hair (hirsutism) and sometimes severe acne and baldness in men.
The exact cause of PCOS is unknown. Factors that can play a role are:
Too much insulin. Insulin is the hormone made in the pancreas that enables cells to use sugar, your body’s main source of energy. When your cells become resistant to the effects of insulin, your blood sugar levels can rise and your body can make more insulin. Too much insulin can increase the production of androgens and make ovulation difficult.
Low inflammation. This term is used to describe the production of substances by white blood cells to fight infections. Research has shown that women with PCOS have a highly inflammatory type that causes polycystic ovaries to produce androgens, which can lead to heart and blood vessel problems.
Inheritance. Research suggests that certain genes may be linked to PCOS.
Excess androgens. The ovaries produce abnormally high levels of androgens, which leads to hirsutism and acne. Stein-Leventhal syndrome treatment in hyderabad
Complications from PCOS can include:
- Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-related high blood pressure
- Miscarriage or premature birth
- Alcohol-free steatohepatitis – severe inflammation of the liver caused by the accumulation of fat in the liver
- Metabolic Syndrome – a collection of conditions, such as high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels, that significantly increase your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Type 2 diabetes or prediabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Depression, anxiety, and eating disorders Stein-Leventhal syndrome treatment in hyderabad