- An allergy to soy, a product made from soybeans, is a common food allergy. Often times, a soy allergy begins in childhood with a reaction to soy baby formula. Although most children overcome the soy allergy, some carry the allergy into adulthood.
- Mild signs and symptoms of a soy allergy include hives or itching in and around the mouth. In rare cases, a soy allergy can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis). Soy allergy treatment in hyderabad
- If you or your child reacts to soy, tell your doctor. Tests can help confirm a soy allergy.
For most people, being allergic to soy is uncomfortable, but not serious. In rare cases, however, an allergic reaction to soy can be frightening and even fatal. The signs and symptoms of a food allergy usually develop between a few minutes and a few hours after consuming a food that contains the allergen.
Symptoms of a soy allergy can include:
- Tingling in the mouth
- Urticaria; Itching; or itchy, flaky skin (eczema)
- Swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat or other parts of the body
- Wheezing, runny nose, or difficulty breathing
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
An immune system reaction causes food allergies. With a soy allergy, your immune system identifies certain soy proteins as harmful and triggers the production of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies against the soy protein (allergen). The next time you come into contact with soybeans, these IgE antibodies recognize it and signal your immune system to release histamines and other chemicals into your bloodstream. Soy allergy treatment in hyderabad
There are certain factors that can put you at increased risk of developing a soy allergy:
Family history. You are at an increased risk of allergies to soy or other foods if other allergies such as hay fever, asthma, hives, or eczema are common in your family.
Age. Soy allergies are more common in children, especially toddlers and infants.
Other allergies. In some cases, people who are allergic to wheat, beans (legumes), milk, or other foods may also be allergic to soy. In addition, people with a soy allergy may have test results showing allergy to other legumes, but can easily eat them.
There is no way to prevent food allergy. If you’re having a baby, breastfeeding instead of soy or milk can help.
If you’re allergic to soy, the only way to avoid a reaction is to avoid soy products. It is not always easy to know which foods contain soy, an ingredient common to many foods.
Read the food labels carefully. Soy is commonly found in unexpected foods, including canned tuna and canned meat, baked goods, crackers, energy bars, low-fat peanut butter, and canned soups. Read the labels every time you buy a product as the ingredients can change. Also, check the product labels for “contains soy” or “may contain soy”. Soy allergy treatment in hyderabad