Sleep-related eating disorders include frequent episodes of uncontrollable eating and drinking behavior while sleeping. You may be partially or completely unaware of your behavior when preparing and eating food, and you may have little or no memory of these actions the next morning.
Sleep-related eating disorders can be dangerous as you can injure yourself while preparing food or eating inedible or toxic foods. Sleep-related eating disorders can also affect your health, as weight gain and obesity are caused by eating foods high in carbohydrates and high fat. Sleep-related eating disorder treatment in hyderabad
- Sleep-related eating disorder is parasomnia – an abnormal activity or behavior that occurs when you fall asleep, sleep, or wake up.
- Episodes of sleep-related eating disorder occur in the first half of the night after sleep and include:
- Frequent episodes, usually every night, of uncontrolled eating and drinking
Conscious awareness during the preparation and consumption of food
Little or no memory of these actions the next morning
Eat foods high in carbohydrates and fat or strange combinations of foods
- Sleep-related eating disorders typically occur during sleep with non-rapid eye movements in the first half of the night and are associated with the transition from non-rapid eye movements to arousal during sleep.
- The exact mechanism by which it occurs is not known, but sleep-related eating disorders are common in people with a history of sleepwalking, so these conditions may be related. Sleep-related eating disorder treatment in hyderabad
- Sleep-related eating disorders are more common in women and usually start in their teens or early twenties.
- An increased risk of developing sleep-related eating disorder is associated with:
- Other sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea, sleepwalking, narcolepsy, and restless legs syndrome
Hypnotic sleeping pills like Zolpidem (Ambien, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist) and certain other drugs like antidepressants or antipsychotics
Have a daytime eating disorder, such as bulimia or anorexia
Sleep-related eating disorder can cause:
- Hazardous use of kitchen utensils, drops, cuts, burns, danger of suffocation, injuries from eating inedible or poisonous objects or objects to which you are allergic
- Health problems such as weight gain, poor diabetes control, or tooth decay
- Feelings of guilt and helplessness over a lack of control Sleep-related eating disorder treatment in hyderabad