Temporal lobe seizures begin in the temporal lobes of your brain, which process emotions and are important for short-term memory. Some symptoms of temporal lobe crisis may be related to these functions, including strange feelings – such as euphoria, deja vu, or fear.
Temporal lobe seizures are sometimes referred to as focal loss of consciousness seizures. Some people still know what is going on, but with more intense seizures you appear to be awake but unresponsive. Your lips and hands can make repetitive and unnecessary movements. Seizure, temporal lobe treatment in Hyderabad
An unusual sensation (aura) can precede a temporal lobe attack and serve as a warning. Not all people with temporal lobe seizures have an aura, and not all people with aura remember them.
The aura is actually the first part of a partial seizure before consciousness is altered. Examples of auras are:
- A sudden feeling of fear or unprovoked joy
- A déjà vu experience – the feeling that what is happening has already happened
- A sudden or strange smell or taste
- A feeling of getting up in the stomach, similar to that of a roller coaster Seizure, temporal lobe treatment in Hyderabad
- Praise in the brain
- Open Brain Lobes popup dialog
- Often times, the cause of temporal lobe seizures remains unknown. However, they can be the result of a number of factors including:
- traumatic brain injury
- Infections such as encephalitis or meningitis or a history of such infections
- A process that causes scars (gliosis) in part of the temporal lobe called the hippocampus
- Malformations of the blood vessels in the brain
Over time, repeated attacks of the temporal lobe can reduce the part of the brain responsible for learning and memory (the hippocampus). The loss of brain cells in this area can lead to memory problems. Seizure, temporal lobe treatment in Hyderabad