Hemorrhoids or clusters are actually clumps of arterial blood vessels located both in the lower port of the rectum and in the anus. Everyone has hemorrhoids and it depends on whether the hemorrhoids are inactive or not. Hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels that are inflamed.
Hemorrhoids can be divided into two types: internal and external hemorrhoids. Prolonged hemorrhoids are a deterioration of internal hemorrhoids.
The specified internal hemorrhoids are located in the lining of the rectum above the tooth line of the anal canal. In severe cases, however, internal hemorrhoids can protrude from the anus. These are then called prolapsed hemorrhoids. Here, the sphincter in the anal walls appears to be so physically weak that they cannot prevent hemorrhoids from sliding out of the anus due to excessive strain or pressure on the recto-anal region.
External hemorrhoids are below the dental line of the anal canal. These are on the outside of the anus. Once inflamed, protruding external hemorrhoids can become very swollen and painful. Symptoms include itching, burning, and discomfort.
There are many ways to treat hemorrhoids that have occurred, and home treatment has proven to be the best alternative. These include the following:
- The increasing use of dietary fiber. Fiber can be obtained from fruits and vegetables. For those who don’t like both of these forms, however, fiber can be obtained from psyllium husk and plantain. The absorption of fiber leads to softer stools, which reduces stress during bowel movements.
- The use of astringents such as witch hazel, aloe vera and crane’s beak, butcher’s broom and horse chestnut has been found to be very effective in reducing the hemorrhoids that have occurred.
- If you shorten the duration of bowel movements, the pressure in the rectal and anal area is reduced. If there is an urge to defecate, it should not be held back, as it makes hemorrhoids worse.
- I generally advise my clients to take a daily dose of 1000 mg vitamin C tablet. The preparation would normally contain hesperidin, rutin and bioflavoids. These help in shrinking hemorrhoids. Most of my clients have reported being successful within a month of using vitamin C. This preparation also helps strengthen the walls of the blood vessels so that any straining during a bowel movement cannot break or widen the walls.
- If the hemorrhoids become unbearable, use a hip bath and submerge the buttocks in the bath for about 20 minutes to relieve pain and reduce swelling.
Prolonged hemorrhoids can be easily treated using the above methods in addition to a variety of home remedies that have been shown to be very cheap, safe, and effective.