Brain tumor in children
Pediatric Brain Cancer Pop-up Dialog
Children’s brain tumors are masses or growths of abnormal cells that appear in a child’s brain or in nearby tissues and structures. There are many types of brain tumors in children – some are non-cancerous (benign) and some are cancerous (malignant).
- Treatment and the chance of a cure (prognosis) depend on the type of tumor, where it is in the brain, how far it has spread, the age and general health of your child. As new treatments and technologies continue to emerge, there may be different options available at different stages of treatment.Pediatric brain tumors Treatment Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of a brain tumor in children vary widely and depend on the type, size, location, and rate of growth of the brain tumor. Some signs and symptoms may not be easy to spot because they are similar to symptoms of other medical conditions.
Some of the most common symptoms of a brain tumor in children are:
- Headaches that can get more frequent and severe
- Sensation of increased pressure in the head
- Unexplained nausea or vomiting
- Sudden onset of vision problems such as double vision
In most cases, the exact cause of a brain tumor in children is not known.
- Brain tumors in children are usually primary brain tumors – tumors that begin in the brain or in nearby tissues. Primary brain tumors start when normal cells have errors (mutations) in their DNA. These mutations allow cells to grow and divide faster and continue to live when healthy cells die. The result is a mass of abnormal cells that form a tumor.
- Many types of brain tumors – whether cancerous or not – can occur in children.Pediatric brain tumors Treatment Hyderabad
In most children with primary brain tumors, the cause of the tumor is unclear. However, certain types of brain tumors such as medulloblastomas or ependymomas are more common in children. Although rare, a family history of brain tumors or a family history of genetic syndromes may increase the risk of brain tumors in some children.Pediatric brain tumors Treatment Hyderabad