Paraneoplastic nervous system syndromes are a group of rare diseases that occur in some people with cancer. Paraneoplastic syndromes can affect other organ systems as well, including hormone (endocrine), skin (dermatological), blood (hematological), and joints (rheumatology).
- Nervous system paraneoplastic syndromes occur when anti-cancer drugs in the immune system also attack parts of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, or muscles.
- Depending on where the nervous system is affected, paraneoplastic syndromes can cause problems with muscle movement or coordination, sensory perception, memory or thinking, or even sleep.Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system Treatment Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system can develop relatively quickly, often over several days or weeks. The signs and symptoms of paraneoplastic nervous system syndromes often begin before cancer is diagnosed.
Signs and symptoms vary depending on the part of the body injured and can include:
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty keeping your balance
- Loss of muscle coordination
- Loss of muscle tone or weakness
- Loss of fine motor skills, e.g. B. Picking up objects
- difficulties swallowing
- Blurred speech or stuttering
- Memory loss and other thinking disorders (cognitive)
- Vision problems
Paraneoplastic syndromes are not caused by cancer cells that directly interfere with nerve function, by the spread of cancer (metastases), or by other complications such as infection or side effects of treatment. Instead, they appear alongside cancer when your immune system is activated.
- The researchers believe that paraneoplastic syndromes are caused by the immune system’s ability to fight cancer, particularly antibodies and certain white blood cells called T cells. Instead of just attacking cancer cells, these immune system pathogens also attack normal nerve cells and cause neurological disorders.Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system Treatment Hyderabad
Any cancer can be associated with paraneoplastic nervous system syndrome. However, these disorders are more common in people with lung, ovarian, breast, testicular, or lymph cancer.Paraneoplastic syndromes of the nervous system Treatment Hyderabad