Photographer shows Merkel cell carcinoma
Merkel Cell Carcinoma Open the popup dialog
Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare type of skin cancer that usually presents as a flesh-colored or bluish-red lump, often on the face, head, or neck. Merkel cell carcinoma is also known as neuroendocrine carcinoma of the skin.
- Merkel cell carcinoma is most common in older people. Prolonged exposure to the sun or a weakened immune system can increase the risk of developing Merkel cell carcinoma.Merkel cell carcinoma Treatment Hyderabad
The first sign of Merkel cell carcinoma is usually a painless, fast-growing lump (tumor) on your skin. The knot can be skin-colored or appear in shades of red, blue, or purple. Most Merkel cell carcinomas occur on the face, head, or neck, but can develop anywhere on your body, including areas that are not exposed to the sun.Merkel cell carcinoma Treatment Hyderabad
It is not known what causes Merkel cell carcinoma. Merkel cell carcinoma begins in Merkel cells. Merkel cells are located at the base of the outermost layer of skin (epidermis). Merkel cells are connected to nerve endings in the skin that are responsible for the sense of touch.
- Researchers recently discovered that a common virus plays a role in most Merkel cell carcinoma cases. The virus (Merkel cell polyomavirus) lives on the skin and does not cause any signs or symptoms.
Factors that can increase your risk for Merkel cell carcinoma include:
- Excessive exposure to natural or artificial sunlight. Exposure to ultraviolet light such as sunlight or tanning beds increases your risk of Merkel cell carcinoma. The majority of Merkel cell carcinomas occur on skin surfaces that are frequently exposed to the sun.
- A Weak Immune System People with weakened immune systems – including those infected with HIV, people taking drugs that suppress the immune response, or people with chronic leukemia – are more likely to develop Merkel cell carcinoma.
- History of other skin cancers. Merkel cell carcinoma is linked to the development of other skin cancers such as basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma.Merkel cell carcinoma Treatment Hyderabad