- Lung cancer
- Lung Cancer Open the pop-up dialog box
- Lung cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the lungs. Your lungs are two spongy organs in your chest that take in oxygen when you inhale and release carbon dioxide when you exhale.
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death worldwide. Lung cancer Treatment in Hyderabad
Lung cancer does not usually cause signs and symptoms in the early stages. The signs and symptoms of lung cancer usually appear when the disease has progressed.
The signs and symptoms of lung cancer can include:
- A new cough that won’t go away
- Cough up blood, even a small amount
- shortness of breath
- Chest pain
Smoking is the cause of the majority of lung cancer – both in smokers and in people exposed to second-hand smoke. Lung cancer also occurs in people who have never smoked and in people who have not been exposed to second-hand smoke for a long time. In these cases, there may not be a clear cause of lung cancer. Lung cancer Treatment in Hyderabad
There are a number of factors that can increase your risk of lung cancer. For example, some risk factors can be controlled through smoking cessation. And other factors like your family history cannot be controlled.
Risk factors for lung cancer are:
- Smoke. Your risk of lung cancer increases the greater the number of cigarettes you smoke each day and the number of years you have smoked. Quitting smoking at any age can greatly reduce your risk of developing lung cancer.
- Exposure to secondhand smoke. Even if you don’t smoke, exposure to secondhand smoke increases your risk of lung cancer.
- Previous radiation therapy. If you’ve received breast radiation therapy for another type of cancer, you may be at an increased risk of developing lung cancer.
- Exposure to radon. Radon is created by the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rocks, and water, which eventually becomes part of the air you breathe. Dangerous levels of radon can accumulate in any building, including residential homes. Lung cancer Treatment in Hyderabad
Lung cancer can cause complications such as:
- Shortness of breath. People with lung cancer can experience shortness of breath as the cancer grows and blocks main airways. Lung cancer can also cause fluid to build up around the lungs, making it harder for the affected lungs to expand fully when inhaling.
- Cough up blood. Lung cancer can cause bleeding into the airways, which can lead to coughing up blood (hemoptysis). Sometimes the bleeding can become severe. Treatments are available to control bleeding.
- Pain. Advanced lung cancer that spreads to the lining of a lung or to another area of the body such as a bone can cause pain. Let your doctor know if you are in pain as there are many treatments available to control the pain.
- Fluid in the chest (pleural effusion). Lung cancer can cause fluid to build up in the chest cavity (pleural space) around the affected lungs.
Fluid that collects in the chest can make you breathless. Treatments are available to help you drain fluid from your chest and reduce the risk of pleural effusion coming back. Lung cancer Treatment in Hyderabad