Leukemia is cancer of the hematopoietic tissue in the body, including the bone marrow and lymphatic system.
There are many types of leukemia. Some forms of leukemia are more common in children. Other forms of leukemia mainly occur in adults.
Leukemia usually affects white blood cells. Your white blood cells are powerful fighters against infections – they usually grow and divide in an orderly manner depending on how your body needs them. However, in people with leukemia, the bone marrow produces an excessive amount of abnormal white blood cells that do not function properly. Leukemia Treatment in Hyderabad
The symptoms of leukemia vary depending on the type of leukemia. Common signs and symptoms of leukemia are:
- Fever or chills
- Persistent fatigue, weakness
- Frequent or severe infections
- Lose weight without trying
- Swollen lymph nodes, enlarged liver or spleen
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Recurrent nosebleeds
- Lymphatic system
- Lymphatic System Open the popup dialog
- Scientists don’t understand the exact causes of leukemia. It seems to develop from a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Factors that can increase your risk of developing certain types of leukemia include:
- Previous cancer treatment. People who have received certain types of chemotherapy and radiation therapy for other types of cancer are at an increased risk of developing certain types of leukemia.
- Genetic disorders. Genetic abnormalities appear to play a role in the development of leukemia. Certain genetic disorders such as Down syndrome are linked to an increased risk of leukemia.
- Exposure to certain chemicals. Exposure to certain chemicals, such as benzene, found in gasoline and used by the chemical industry has been linked to an increased risk of certain types of leukemia.
- Smoke. Smoking cigarettes increases the risk of acute myeloid leukemia.
- Family history of leukemia. If your family has been diagnosed with leukemia, it may increase their risk of developing the disease. Leukemia Treatment in Hyderabad