Illustration shows the vocal cords
How speech occurs Open the Vocal Cord pop-up dialog box
Open and close vocal cords Open popup dialog
Laryngitis is inflammation of your voice box (larynx) due to overuse, irritation, or infection.
Your larynx is where your vocal cords are located – two folds of the lining that cover muscle and cartilage. Usually, your vocal cords open and close smoothly, making noise through their movements and vibrations.
If you have a laryngitis, your vocal cords become inflamed or irritated. This causes the vocal cords to swell and distort the sounds of the air flowing over them. As a result, your voice will sound hoarse. In some cases of laryngitis, your voice may be almost undetectable. Laryngitis Treatment in Hyderabad
In most cases, symptoms of laryngitis last less than two weeks and are caused by something as small as a virus. Less often, symptoms of laryngitis are caused by something more serious or permanent.
Signs and symptoms of laryngitis can include:
- Weak voice or loss of voice
- Sensation of tickling and roughness in the throat
- Sore throat
- Dry throat
- Dry cough
Acute laryngitis Most cases of laryngitis are temporary and will get better once the underlying cause improves. The causes of acute laryngitis are:
- Viral infections similar to those that cause a cold
- Voice tension caused by yelling or overuse your voice
- Bacterial infections, although less common
- Chronic laryngitis
- Laryngitis that lasts more than three weeks is called chronic laryngitis. This type of laryngitis is usually caused by exposure to irritants over time. Chronic laryngitis can cause fatigue and injury to the vocal cord, or growth of the vocal cord (polyps or nodules). Chronic laryngitis can be caused by:
- Inhaled irritants such as chemical fumes, allergens, or smoke
- Acid reflux, also called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Chronic sinusitis
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Habitual overuse of your voice (e.g. with singers or cheerleaders)
Risk factors for laryngitis are:
- Have a respiratory infection such as a cold, bronchitis, or sinusitis
- Exposure to irritants such as cigarette smoke, excessive alcohol consumption, stomach acid, or chemicals in the workplace
- Abuse your voice, talk too much, speak too loudly, scream or sing. Laryngitis Treatment in Hyderabad
In some cases of laryngitis caused by an infection, the infection can spread to other parts of the airways.
To avoid dryness or irritation in your vocal cords:
- Avoid smoking and stay away from passive smoking. Smoke your throat. It can also irritate your vocal cords.
- Limit your alcohol and caffeine consumption. These will cause you to lose all of your body water.
- Drink plenty of water. Liquids will help remove the mucus in your throat thinly and easily.
- Keep spicy foods out of your diet. Spicy foods can cause stomach acid to enter your throat or esophagus. This can lead to heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Include a wide variety of healthy foods in your diet. Eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These contain several vitamins like vitamins A, E, and C that are important for overall health. These foods can also help keep the lining of the throat healthy.
- Avoid clearing your throat. This does more harm than good, as your vocal cords can vibrate abnormally and increase swelling. When you clear your throat, your throat sheds more mucus and feels more itchy, causing you to clear your throat again.
- Avoid upper respiratory infections. Wash your hands frequently and avoid contact with people with upper respiratory infections such as colds. Laryngitis Treatment in Hyderabad