Itchy skin is an uncomfortable, irritating feeling that makes you want to scratch. Itchy skin, also known as itchy skin (Proo-RIE-Tus), is often caused by dry skin. It is common in older adults because the skin becomes drier as they age.
Depending on the cause of your itchiness, your skin may appear normal, red, rough, or bumpy. Repeated scratching can lead to raised, thick areas of skin that may bleed or become infected. Itchy skin (pruritus) Treatment in Hyderabad
Many people find relief through self-care measures such as daily hydration, gentle cleansers, and bathing with lukewarm water. Long-term relief requires identifying and treating the cause of itchy skin. Common treatments include medicated creams, moist bandages, and oral anti-itch medications.
Itchy skin can affect small areas such as the scalp, an arm or leg, or the whole body. Itchy skin can appear on the skin without any other noticeable changes. Or it can be associated with:
- Scratch marks
- Bumps, spots, or blisters
- Dry, cracked skin
- Leathery or flaky spots
Causes of itchy skin are:
- Skin conditions. Examples are dry skin (xerosis), eczema (dermatitis), psoriasis, scabies, parasites, burns, scars, insect bites and hives.
- Internal diseases. Itching all over the body can be a symptom of an underlying condition, such as liver disease, kidney disease, anemia, diabetes, thyroid problems, multiple myeloma, or lymphoma. Itchy skin (pruritus) Treatment in Hyderabad
- Nerve disorders. Examples are multiple sclerosis, pinched nerves, and shingles (herpes zoster).
- Psychiatric illness. Examples are anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and depression.
- Irritation and allergic reactions. Wool, chemicals, soaps, and other substances can irritate the skin, causing rashes and itching. Sometimes the substance, like poison ivy or cosmetics, triggers an allergic reaction. Reactions to certain drugs, such as narcotic pain relievers (opioids), can also cause itchy skin.