Throughout the day we are using our hands, and if we don’t take care of them, they might start to look older than they are. The hands cope with years of washing up, daily use, sunshine and environmental factors, which cause the skin on our hands to dry out, and look old beyond their years.
Our skin can look youthful and healthy for longer if we practice a good skin care routine, but unfortunately we don’t seem give the same careful attention to our hands, as we do to our face. The veins and bones become more visible as we get older because the skin on the hands is thinner and more delicate than anywhere else, and just as we lose fat and collagen from the face and body, we also lose it on our hands, making them look older and skeletal.
Age spots are also called liver or sun spots, and these are areas of hyperpigmentation caused by UV exposure. Since UV exposure causes age spots, the best way to prevent them is to protect your hands from the sun by using sun screen every day. Age spots can easily become less visible by using skin bleaching agents, fading or lightening creams or laser therapy.
- Exfoliating the skin with microdermabrasion treatment will remove dead skin cells making your skin softer and brighter, and can also help to even out the skin tone. When you exfoliate your face at home, you should apply the same product to your hands.
- Always moisturize your hands after they’ve been in water. While they are still damp, apply anti-ageing moisturizer.
- Chemical peels will take away any dead skin, and improve the skin tone, softening the skin and eliminating any brown spots.
- Laser treatments can promote collagen production, which will help to plump up the skin.
- Dermal filler injections will correct volume loss on the back of wrinkly hands. This will improve the skin quality and plump your hands up again. A dermal filler treatment with hyaluronic acid, will add volume to the skin and make them wrinkle-free.
Some women take such good care to keep their face looking good, that they find the face and hands don’t really match. The hands can look so much older than the rest of you, and the loss of volume, fat and elasticity just accentuates the differences.