- Dystonia is a movement disorder in which your muscles involuntarily contract, causing repetitive or twisted movements.
- The condition can affect one part of your body (focal dystonia), two or more adjacent parts (segmental dystonia), or all parts of your body (general dystonia). Muscle spasms can range from mild to severe. They can be painful and interfere with your daily chores.
- There is no cure for dystonia. But medication can improve symptoms. Surgery is sometimes used to turn off or regulate nerves or specific areas of the brain in people with severe dystonia. Dystonia treatment in hyderabad
Dystonia affects different people in different ways. Muscle contractions can:
- Start with a single area, e.g. B. leg, neck or arm. Focal dystonia that begins after age 21 usually starts in the neck, arm, or face and tends to remain focal or segmental.
- Occur during a specific action, e.g. B. in handwriting.
- Words with stress, fatigue, or fear.
- Become more visible over time.
The exact cause of the dystonia is not known. However, nerve cell communication could be impaired in several areas of the brain. Some forms of dystonia are inherited.
Dystonia can also be a symptom of another disease or condition, including:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Wilson disease
- traumatic brain injury
- Birth injury
Depending on the type of dystonia, the following complications can occur:
- Physical disabilities that affect your performance in daily activities or certain tasks
- Difficulty seeing affecting your eyelids
- Difficulty moving your jaw, swallowing, or speaking
- Pain and fatigue from constant contraction of your muscles
- Depression, anxiety, and social withdrawal Dystonia treatment in hyderabad