- Desmoidal tumors are non-cancerous growths that appear in connective tissue. Desmoid tumors are most common in the abdomen, arms, and legs.
- Another term for desmoid tumors is aggressive fibromatosis.
- Some desmoid tumors grow slowly and do not require immediate treatment. Others grow quickly and are treated with surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, or other drugs.
- Desmoidal tumors are not considered cancer because they do not spread to other areas of the body. But they can be very aggressive, behave more like cancer, and grow in nearby structures and organs. Because of this, people with desmoid tumors are often treated by oncologists. Desmoid tumors treatment in hyderabad
Symptoms of desmoid tumor differ depending on where the tumors occur. Desmoid tumors are most common in the abdomen, arms, and legs. But they can form anywhere in the body.
In general, the signs and symptoms include:
- A lump or area of swelling
Loss of function in the affected area
- The reasons
It is not known what causes desmoid tumors.
- Doctors know that these tumors form when a connective tissue cell develops changes in its DNA. A cell’s DNA contains the instructions that tell a cell what to do. The changes cause the connective tissue cells to multiply quickly and create a mass of cells (tumor) that can invade healthy tissue in the body and destroy it. Desmoid tumors treatment in hyderabad
Factors that can increase the risk of desmoid tumors include:
- Young adulthood. Desmoid tumors usually appear in young adults between the ages of 20 and 30 years. This tumor is rare in children and the elderly.
- A genetic syndrome that causes many colon polyps. People with familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) are at increased risk of desmoid tumors. FAP is caused by a genetic mutation that can be passed from parents to children. It causes a lot of growths (polyps) in the colon.
- Pregnancy. In rare cases, a desmoid tumor can develop during or shortly after pregnancy.
- Injury. A small number of desmoid tumors develop in people who have recently had an injury or surgery. Desmoid tumors treatment in hyderabad