- Cushing’s Syndrome
- Cushing Syndrome Open the popup dialog
- Cushing’s syndrome occurs when your body is exposed to high levels of the hormone cortisol for long periods of time. Cushing’s syndrome, sometimes called hypercortisolism, can be caused by the use of oral corticosteroids. The condition can also occur when your body produces too much cortisol on its own.
- Too much cortisol can cause some of the characteristics of Cushing’s syndrome – a lump of fat between your shoulders, a rounded face, and pink or purple stretch marks on your skin. Cushing’s syndrome can also lead to high blood pressure, bone loss, and occasionally type 2 diabetes.
- Treatments for Cushing’s syndrome can bring your body’s cortisol production back to normal and significantly improve your symptoms. The earlier you start treatment, the better your chances of recovery. Cushing syndrome Treatment in Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome can vary based on excess cortisol.
- Common signs and symptoms of Cushing’s syndrome
- Weight gain and fatty tissue deposits, especially in the middle and upper back, on the face (moon face) and between the shoulders (buffalo hump)
- Pink or purple stretch marks (streaks) on the skin of the stomach, thighs, breasts, and arms
- Thin, fragile skin that easily bruises
- Slow healing of cuts, insect bites and infections
- Endocrine system
- Endocrine SystemOpen Popup Dialog
- Excessive levels of the hormone cortisol are responsible for Cushing’s syndrome. Cortisol, which is produced in the adrenal glands, plays a number of roles in your body.
For example, cortisol helps regulate your blood pressure, reduce inflammation, and keep your heart and blood vessels normal. Cortisol helps your body respond to stress. It also regulates the way you convert (metabolize) the proteins, carbohydrates, and fats in your diet into usable energy.
However, if the levels of cortisol in your body are too high, you can develop Cushing’s syndrome.
- The role of corticosteroids
- Cushing’s syndrome can develop from a cause outside of your body (exogenous Cushing’s syndrome). An example is the use of high doses of oral corticosteroids for a long period of time. Like prednisone, these drugs have the same effects on the body as the cortisol your body produces. Cushing syndrome Treatment in Hyderabad