Childhood schizophrenia is a rare but serious mental disorder in which children interpret reality in abnormal ways. Schizophrenia involves a range of problems with thinking (cognitive), behavior, or emotions. This can lead to a combination of hallucinations, delusions, and extremely disturbed thoughts and behaviors that affect your child’s ability to function.
Childhood schizophrenia is essentially the same as adult schizophrenia, but occurs early in life and has a profound impact on child behavior and development. In childhood schizophrenia, the early age of onset poses particular challenges in terms of diagnosis, treatment, education, and emotional and social development.
Schizophrenia is a chronic disease that requires lifelong treatment. Identifying and starting treatment for childhood schizophrenia early on can greatly improve your child’s long-term outcomes. Childhood schizophrenia Treatment in Hyderabad
Schizophrenia brings a number of problems with thinking, behavior, or emotions. Signs and symptoms can vary, but usually include delusions, hallucinations, or disorganized language and reflect dysfunction. The effect can be switched off.
First signs and symptoms
The first signs of childhood schizophrenia may be developmental problems, such as:
- Speech delays
- Late or unusual exploration
- end of March
- Other abnormal motor behaviors – for example, arm swinging or flapping
- Symptoms in Adolescents
- Symptoms of schizophrenia in adolescents are similar to adults, but the disease can be more difficult to detect in this age group. This may be due in part to the fact that some of the early symptoms of schizophrenia are common in adolescents with typical development during adolescence, such as:
- Retreat with friends and family
- A drop in performance in school
- sleep disorders
- Irritability or depressed mood
- Lack of motivation
- Weird behaviour
- Substance use
It is not known what causes schizophrenia in childhood, but it is believed that it develops in the same way as schizophrenia in adults. Researchers believe that a combination of genetics, brain chemistry, and the environment all contribute to the development of the disorder. It is not known why schizophrenia begins so early in life for some and not for others.
Problems with certain natural chemicals in the brain, including the neurotransmitters called dopamine and glutamate, can contribute to schizophrenia. Neuroimaging studies show differences in the brain structure and central nervous system of people with schizophrenia. Although the researchers aren’t sure how big these changes are, they suggest that schizophrenia is a brain disorder. Childhood schizophrenia Treatment in Hyderabad
Although the exact cause of schizophrenia is unknown, certain factors appear to increase your risk of developing or causing schizophrenia, including:
- Do you have a family history of schizophrenia?
- Increased activation of the immune system such as inflammation or autoimmune diseases
- The age of the father
- Certain pregnancy and childbirth complications, such as malnutrition or exposure to toxins or viruses that can affect brain development
Early detection and treatment can help control symptoms of childhood schizophrenia before serious complications develop. Early treatment is also important to limit psychotic episodes, which can be extremely frightening to a child and their parents. Continued treatment can help improve your child’s long-term prospects. Childhood schizophrenia Treatment in Hyderabad