Alcohol poisoning is a serious – and sometimes fatal – consequence of consuming large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature, and gag reflex, and possibly lead to coma and death.
- Alcohol poisoning can also occur when adults or children accidentally or intentionally drink household products containing alcohol.
- A person intoxicated with alcohol needs immediate medical attention. If you think someone is suffering from alcohol poisoning, get emergency medical help right away.Alcohol poisoning Treatment Hyderabad
The signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:
- Slow breathing (less than eight breaths per minute)
- Irregular breathing (an interval of more than 10 seconds between breaths)
- Skin colored with blue or pale skin
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Faint (unconsciousness) and cannot be awakened
Alcohol in the form of ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is found in alcoholic beverages, mouthwashes, kitchen extracts, some medicines, and some household products. Ethyl alcohol poisoning usually results from excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, especially over a short period of time.
- Other forms of alcohol – including isopropyl alcohol (found in rubbing alcohol, lotions, and some cleaning products) and methanol or ethylene glycol (a common ingredient in antifreeze, paints, and solvents) – can cause other types of toxic poisoning that require emergency treatment.Alcohol poisoning Treatment Hyderabad
A number of factors can increase your risk of alcohol poisoning, including:
- Your height and weight
- Your overall health
- If you have recently eaten
- Whether you combine alcohol with other drugs
- The percentage of alcohol in your beverages
- The rate and amount of alcohol consumption
- Your tolerance level
To avoid alcohol poisoning:
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all. If you want to drink alcohol, do it in moderation. For healthy adults this means up to one drink per day for women of all ages and men over 65 years and up to two drinks per day for men under 65 years of age. When you drink, drink slowly.
- Do not drink on an empty stomach. Having food in your stomach can slow down the absorption of alcohol somewhat, although this will not prevent alcohol intoxication if, for example, you drink excessively.
- Communicate with your teenagers. Talk to your teenagers about the dangers of alcohol, including heavy drinking. There is evidence that children who are warned about alcohol by their parents and who report close relationships with their parents are less likely to start drinking.
- Store products safely. If you have young children, keep products containing alcohol, including cosmetics, mouthwashes, and medicines, out of their reach. Use child-resistant bathroom and kitchen cabinets to prevent access to household cleaners. Keep toxic items in your garage or storage area out of reach. Remember to keep alcoholic beverages closed.Alcohol poisoning Treatment Hyderabad